The Communications Manager (CM) is responsible for developing and implementing Just Vision’s communications strategy, bolstering Just Vision’s public presence and ensuring that the organization’s values, mission and approach are communicated in a clear and compelling manner, both externally and internally. The CM oversees our press, print and digital media and ensures consistent messaging across all our public engagement efforts. The CM will represent Just Vision at public engagements and is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with key media outlets and generating interest from reputable print, radio, digital and broadcast journalists around Just Vision’s work and developments taking place in the region.
Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational and problem-solving skills, experience as a people manager and a passion for working on social change efforts, storytelling, journalism and the Israeli-Palestinian context. They will report to the Chief of Staff and be part of a fast-paced and collaborative environment as an integral member of a nimble, thoughtful and high-performance team.
- Develop and ensure the successful execution of Just Vision’s communications strategy across platforms (including press, newsletter, website and social media) to amplify our mission, engage our audience and grow our reach.
- Develop and disseminate thoughtful, nuanced messaging that is consistent with Just Vision’s values and mission.
- Ensure that Just Vision's communications efforts are aligned with the goals and mission of the organization.
- Proactively identify key moments Just Vision should mobilize around, aligning on messaging and goals and developing a plan of action tailored for each platform (press, newsletter, social, website).
- Develop and implement strategies as needed around crisis communications.
- Monitor and analyze data and impact to evaluate the effectiveness of Just Vision's communications efforts and modify when needed.
- Drive the creation of compelling, coordinated and effective communication materials, including newsletters, social media content, brochures, presentation decks, website, press releases, discussion guides, press kits and talking points.
- Develop and implement holistic communications strategies related to the original media content we produce, including our documentaries (such as Boycott, Naila and the Uprising, My Neighbourhood and Budrus) and the investigative and long-form pieces published at our Hebrew-language news site, Local Call.
- Oversee the strategy, development and execution of all of Just Vision’s communications platforms in alignment with our organizational and communications goals, including ensuring:
- An adaptive and proactive social media strategy that broadens our digital reach and provides our audience with nuanced content;
- A plan for our digital newsletter that maximizes impact and growth;
- Website content that clearly and compellingly communicates who we are, provides resources and tools for our audience and directs our community in ways to get involved.
- Ensure that all of our communications platforms are secure and up-to-date.
- Conduct thorough, unassailable research and fact-checking to inform our briefs for press and outreach contacts, messaging, board reports and all written materials.
Press Engagement :
- Manage press strategy overall, and in specific around key inflection points with our films, journalism and outreach campaigns.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists and key media contacts.
- Activate not only journalists and outlets who routinely cover Israel-Palestine, but also those who have an appetite for, or whose work may intersect with, the themes covered in Just Vision’s work.
- Proactively identify opportunities to increase Just Vision’s visibility and strengthen our mission through press engagement, including: op-eds, analysis, film reviews, editorial board meetings, press briefings, letters to the editor and story pitches that amplify our work and values.
- Draft and send pitches, press releases and briefs, and respond to incoming requests from journalists and the media.
- Maintain and build upon a robust CRM that facilitates efficient and streamlined engagement with Just Vision’s press contacts.
Management and Internal Coordination :
- Manage the Social Media Coordinator, Education and Communications Specialist, Lead Designer and Developer and related communications consultants and interns as assigned.
- Manage communications workflows and maintain tight coordination across the US-based and regional staff (operating in Israel-Palestine) ensuring team members are effective across time zones and contexts.
- Develop work plans and systems that guide the work of the Communications Team and ensure coordination across platforms.
- Ensure our communications are integrated with our outreach efforts through regular coordination across all public engagement related staff.
- Coordinate closely with the Development Team so that our reports, proposals and fundraising efforts are aligned with our communications goals, strategy and messaging.
- Conduct performance evaluations, provide feedback and offer professional development opportunities to help team members grow and thrive.
- Oversee the development of content for internal communications, including board reports, to keep the team and board coordinated and up to date.
- Ensure that the team accurately tracks impact and synthesizes key learnings to inform our efforts.
- Oversee the optimization, integration, maintenance and renewal process of key communications and monitoring platforms.
- 2+ years of experience as a people manager with a track record of supporting highly engaged and impactful teams.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in a comparable role in communications, including experience working with press and journalists.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong research, planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Impeccable judgement.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a solutions-oriented approach.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with the media and journalists.
- Appetite for working on and expertise in the social, cultural and political landscape as it relates to the Israeli-Palestinian context, social justice issues and foreign policy matters.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability/comfort working and communicating virtually with remote team members.
- Detail-oriented and organized with a track record of consistently meeting deadlines.
- Prior non-profit experience is a plus.
- Fluency in Arabic and/or Hebrew a plus.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $70,000 – $82,000, commensurate with experience. This salary band applies to candidates in the US, however candidates in Israel-Palestine are most welcome to apply and the salary will be adjusted for location accordingly. Just Vision strives to offer a competitive total compensation package including health, dental and generous time off. We are ideally looking for someone based in or near Washington, DC, New York, NY, or Israel-Palestine, with the option for remote/hybrid work. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with an anticipated start date of April 1, 2024.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please put “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No phone calls, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter inquiries please. Due to the volume of applicants we anticipate, we may not be able to respond individually to each application.
Just Vision is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, ability or any other legally protected status.