Just Vision is seeking a full-time Manager of Communications. This is a fast-paced job within a dynamic, high-performing team.
The Manager of Communications will develop and implement Just Vision’s communications strategy, ensuring that the organization’s values, mission, and approach are communicated in a clear and compelling manner, both externally and internally. S/he/they will oversee our press and digital media strategies, ensure consistent messaging across our public engagement and serve as a key ambassador for Just Vision. The Manager of Communications will also be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with leading media outlets, journalists and editors.
The Manager of Communications will report to the Deputy Director, manage 1-2 communications-related team members and coordinate regularly with Just Vision’s creative content, outreach and development teams in the US, Palestine and Israel to ensure that the organization’s messaging is integrated, effective and supportive of multiple, ongoing projects.
- Build and execute strategy: Develop and implement Just Vision’s communications strategy across platforms and media, ensuring consistency and clarity of Just Vision’s values, mission and approach, in tandem with the Deputy Director and Executive Director.
- Lead development of all written materials: Draft and refine compelling and effective communication materials, including newsletters, social media content, op-ed pitches, press articles, brochures, presentation decks, website, press releases, discussion guides, press kits and talking points.
- Manage and supervise the communications team: Supervise members of Just Vision’s communications-related team members, including consultants and interns.
- Engage the media: Proactively identify creative opportunities to increase Just Vision’s visibility and strengthen our mission through media engagement, including but not limited to: op-eds, analysis, film reviews, letters to the editor and story pitches that amplify our work and values.
- Expand Just Vision’s networks: Build and nurture relationships with key journalists, thought leaders and media outlets in the United States and internationally.
- Act as a resource for the press on topics related to the Israeli-Palestinian context: Respond to media inquiries and equip members of the press with research, sources and story leads.
- Develop and run press impact campaigns: Execute robust press campaigns for films, journalistic endeavors and other projects, in coordination with Just Vision’s media and outreach teams.
- Oversee digital engagement strategy: Develop and execute Just Vision’s digital communications strategy to leverage our social media platforms, online newsletter and website with the goal of amplifying our mission, engaging our audience and growing our reach.
- Craft the arc and messaging of annual mailings and digital fundraising campaigns: Take the lead on developing twice-a-year fundraising campaigns, including drafting hard mailing letters, online newsletters and running corresponding social media and crowdfunding campaigns in support of Just Vision’s development efforts.
- Represent Just Vision publicly: Speak at screenings, events and other Just Vision engagements.
- Manage communications trainings and on-boarding: Provide communications and media training for Just Vision’s team, new staff members, film subjects and when relevant, community organizers, human rights defenders and filmmakers across the fields where we work.
- Monitor Just Vision’s press footprint: Track press appearances and placements and maintain a system to track press outcomes and traction around Just Vision’s films, journalism and digital media.
- Build support teams: When relevant, hire and manage public relations and other media consultants to support targeted press campaigns and project-specific communications needs.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Must be a compelling and effective writer and enjoy captivating audiences with their writing
- Strong familiarity with the Israeli-Palestinian context and media environment related to the issue
- Strong instinct for thoughtful, concise and powerful messaging on issues that inspire and compel audiences to think about and engage on difficult issues
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams
- Ability to advise senior leadership on media trends and strategies
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Team player with enthusiasm, self-motivation, a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while overseeing and seamlessly managing multiple moving pieces and teams
- Strong research, planning, organizational and analytical skills
- Comfort participating in and fostering a creative and collaborative team environment
- Ability and enthusiasm for travel and telecommuting from the road
- 2-4 years of relevant professional experience in communications, journalism, media relations and/or public relations, preferably with internationally focused organizations especially pertaining to the Middle East and the Israeli-Palestinian context
- 1-2 years of management experience
- Extensive familiarity with international and US news outlets and media landscape
- Strong knowledge of online communications strategies and tactics and the latest social media and digital technologies, tools and best practices
- Significant media contacts in print, broadcast and online news
- Prior experience working with Palestinian, Israeli, Jewish, Christian, Arab and/or Muslim communities
- Knowledge of/experience with social media marketing a plus
- Prior non-profit or philanthropic experience a plus
- Fluency in Arabic and/or Hebrew a plus
Just Vision offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with experience. Our salaries are designed to be consistent with annual data provided by the Professionals for Nonprofits Salary Report based on our organizational size and location.
Just Vision is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, ability or on any other legally protected status.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, three single-page writing samples, three references and links to public speaking or media appearances, if any, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by October 23, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that we only accept applications by email. Because of the volume of applicants we anticipate, we cannot respond individually to each application. We will contact those applicants who are of interest to the Search Committee.